County Gaol, Mount Street, MullingarPrevious name: N/A Date: 1820 - 1830 Townland: MULLINGAR
County: County Westmeath
Cordinates: 243771, 252746 Latitude: 53.523100038274 Longtitude: -7.3408055462186The site of the primary prison architecture that formed part of the Mullingar Jail complex. Built around year 1825. Arranged on a fan-shaped plan with prison construction to the south, exercise yards between and the former prison governor's house (15310078) to the north at the centre of the fan. Located to the southwest of the County Architecture (15310076).The site of the primary part of the Mullingar Jail complex, which was built between circa year 1819 and circa year 1828 to designs by the eminent architect John Hargraves (1788-1833). Recent archaeological investigations carried out in advance of development uncovered the original plan and layout, providing an interesting insight into the new thinking into the design of prisons in the early nineteenth-century. The layout of this prison had the governor's house (15310078) to the north as the centerpiece or focal point with the primary prison construction to the south with radiating exercise yards between. This was designed to by 'altruistic' towards the welfare of the prisoners but was also a definite statement of authority, control and power. This prison replaced an earlier prison in Mullingar, which was located on Pearse Street, possibly on the site of the Greville Arms Hotel. The construction of the new jail was ordered by the Westmeath Grand Jury in 1819 and £11,626 was given for the building project in 1823. In 1827 the complex comprised an entryway house, burying yard, infirmary with male and female apartments, marshalsea, 'old' wash house, privy, old jail, female prison, debtors' yard, female yard, bleach green, turnkey's yard, governor's house, cook house and treadmill yard. The primary prison had 98 cells for prisoners, 10 rooms for debtors and 19 day and work rooms in 1847. The prison was closed in 1900 and used as technical school for a few years afterwards. It was demolished around year 1910 when the new County Architecture (15310076) were built to the north. This jail was built on the site of Petits Castle, originally a Norman motte and later the site of a stone castle (WM019-051001-), and of a mill (WM019-051002-).
Copyright Department of Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht